Sunday, August 22, 2010

Would you be offended or feel weird if your spouse whom was widowed wanted to name your child after their late?

husband or wife? Hope I got the wording correctly. I know it seems like a strange question but one of my co-workers was talking about this. Basically her husband was married before and his wife passed away. He now wants to name their soon to be born daughter after his late first wife. So my question is would you feel weird if your spouse wanted to name your child after a past love of theirs? Even if they aren't deceased as a matter of fact.Would you be offended or feel weird if your spouse whom was widowed wanted to name your child after their late?
I would say that it would reflect the husband's inability to move on from the death of the first wife. That being said, I would also judge that it sounds like the husband should have never married the second wife. If you're not over your first wife, you don't get a second wife.





Yes, the wounds will still be there deep down, as some pain never goes away fully, but if you cannot move beyond it and put it in the past, you need to give it more time. Speeding ahead doesn't do it, it just numbs it only to bring it to the surface again.





So yes, I would judge this scenario as very unhealthy and I would not allow it if I were the woman. I would be very hurt and would really wonder if my husband loved me and if I was first place in his life, or if I was just a measly replacement for his late wife.Would you be offended or feel weird if your spouse whom was widowed wanted to name your child after their late?
No thanks that wouldn't happen in my house.
I have a friend who remarried after his wife (also a close friend of mine) passed. While they are not going to have children, I do know that his first wife is always kept in mind, and always will be. This was well known by the new wife - I believe the love and respect that he gives to his first wife strengthens their relationship.


I have no doubt that if he were to have children, his new wife would have no problem whatsoever in naming their first child after her. This is the strength of their bond.





You do not forget love because one person has passed on. It would be cold hearted not to try to remember and honor that person.
noooooooo that's wrong on so many levels
I did marry a widower. Thankfully this did not come up for us but yes I would absolutely feel weird. But it depends on why he wants that name. If it is a thing of wanting to keep her alive for him I would be offended. If it is a honoring her memory but not dredging up the past thing, and something he can give or take I would be ok with the suggestion but would not take it.





The problem with being married to a widower or widow is that you are always wondering if they actually love you as much as they loved their first spouse. When you build a relationship where you are aware that that spouse is part of them but they have moved on and are not actively in love with them... you can have that good relationship. For me, wanting to name your child after her seems very much like bringing her up to a greater emotional point than I would be comfortable with.
Yes thats a bit weird. I mean we all have relatives whom we loved and were important to us, but who are passed away but we dont neccessarily name children after them.


Normally it is a co-decision between the two parents to decide a name that is meaningful and agreeable for both parties.


I'd be pissed if this was happening to me. In fact I'd be telling them to wake up to themselves, and fast.
Oh HELL no...
It's about the unhealthiest thing I've ever heard of irregardless of the fact he loved his first wife and they met an early demise as a couple. Talk about a slap of reality to the face of his current wife.
I think that is a bit strange. It's like he wants to ';reincarnate'; his first wife into his daughter. If her name was, say, Mary, I'd maybe let him use that for her middle name and give her a name I liked for a first name: like Alyssa Mary, and call her Alyssa.
i would feel totally weird, and offended


it would be grounds for me to hit the pavement, and move on...





that is is not admirable, it is in the past, and should stay there.





Just like having a nick name for you love, who you also you used to call all of the previous people you dated before,


REALLY sick %26amp; shallow
Some people seem to never get over a deceased spouse...my dad hasn't. However, out of respect for the current spouse, naming a child after a former spouse seems to be in bad taste to me.
My first husband passed away. My current husband's first wife passed away. We talk and tell each other stories about our pasts marriages. I mean it's not an every day thing but we speak freely. I told my husband once it didn't bother me for us to talk about our first marriages because we did not divorce our first loves, we lost them. Anyone that has ever lost a spouse knows the pain especially if you have to help your children through their grief. I would respect him giving his child a variation of his wives name as their middle name but not the first. Only because the grieving process is such a long difficult process and then to hear the name so many times a day for the rest of your life would be added painful memories of missing them. The past is the past and we need to move on.
If the child was named after a deceased person, I would not object to that. As long as the husband %26amp; wife both agree to it %26amp; there would be no problems w/it, I don't see anything wrong w/it. Now, however you did mention ';even if they aren't deceased';...to me that would be a big no no. There's NO way I would want my child named after my husband's ex's name. I know I sure would not want to be reminded of his living ex wife's name. To me that just might be asking for trouble. Stick to the one in memory of, sure not the living one...Good luck on that one...:)
the child's name must be chosen by two of them. that's it.
It would never happen. I could not imagine hearing the ex name used in naming someone that I loved. (child) I think he is asking too much of his wife and she should in NO WAY allow him to do that. That is wrong, period!
Memories of old husband or wife are not liked by the new spouse and hence such practice or exercise must be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment