Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can a married couple qualify for a mortgage in just one spouse's name? ?

I mean, can the husband qualify on his credit, income, etc., alone, even if the wife is employed full time as well? We are first time buyers, so we've never done this before. Furthermore, is it possible to use the wife's income to qualify without using her credit history?Can a married couple qualify for a mortgage in just one spouse's name? ?
It will depend on your state. If it is a community property state you have to include the community owners, ie, both of you.





If it is not a community property state you can own without the wife owning anything. You can leave her name off. As she has no legal rights or obligations to the property her income can not be included to qualify.Can a married couple qualify for a mortgage in just one spouse's name? ?
We just got a mortgage on only my husband's credit and income. If you want to count the income, you have to use the credit. UNless you find someone shady, and that's never a good idea. Ask all the people losing houses right now about that.





IN our case, even though my credit is a little better, I have no income and some student debt. So it was better to not have to count my debt, than to use my credit.
This depends on the lender that you use.





We are buying a home, my wife stays at home with the baby and I am in the military. I first went through Wachovia for a mortgage and they pulled just my credit and put just me on the pre approval. I did it this way thinking that I did not want to include her small debt with no income. I was able to qualify without pulling her credit report.





I then went through a credit union (better interest rates) and they wanted to pull both of our credit reports and see both of our debts before giving us a loan. We were approved for less money but still approved for more than we needed. This is how it should be by the way. Even though it may be just you qualifying for the loan, you still have to pay her bills. Given what has happened recently......





But always, if you want to use her income, you have to use her debt. They will pull her credit report in that case.





Hope this helps....
If the one spouse makes enough money and has a good enough credit rating to qualify for a mortgage, then yes, sure they can do it that way.





I'm not sure about the second part of your question. You'll have to ask your bank or mortgage company.
Yes. One spouse can qualify apply and qualify alone. You CANNOT use the other spouse's income without his/her credit history also being considered.
If you are married they take both of your credit histories into account. If she has bad credit it will affect the terms of the loan.
  • nose mask
  • salicylic acid
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment