Sunday, August 22, 2010

A prospective employer doesn't offer a 401K plan; what other options do I have besides my spouse's and my IRA?

I hope I have some other option(s) because I want to continue to save up to $16,500 before taxes every year.A prospective employer doesn't offer a 401K plan; what other options do I have besides my spouse's and my IRA?
As an employee, you have few pre-tax retirement-plan options: Your employer's plan, if any, and IRAs. If you had your own business, or were self-employed, you'd have more options.





You could, however, contribute any amount to a tax-deferred annuity, after-tax. Any earnings would accumulate tax-deferred, and withdrawals - except for your after-tax contributions, of course - would be taxed as ordinary income. Annuities can be fixed or variable (mutual funds within an annuity). There are equity-indexed annuities, but because they're so convoluted and misleading, I, personally, don't recommend them.





Hope that helps.





Disclaimer. The information in this response is for general purposes only, and shall not be construed as specific advice for any individual. The questioner is urged to contact their own professional advisors before implementing any tax or investment strategy.A prospective employer doesn't offer a 401K plan; what other options do I have besides my spouse's and my IRA?
Unless you can contribute to a qualified plan through your employer or one that you set up yourself (if you are a business owner), your only option to contribute to a retirement account or plan pre-tax is a Traditional IRA. You could max that out and invest any other surplus cash flow you have in non-qualified investments, until you have access to a qualified plan.
You're screwed. Find another prospective employer...
nothing else - just invest post tax

No comments:

Post a Comment