Sunday, August 22, 2010

This questions is for parents; do you fight with you spouse about your inlaws?

Do they try to tell you how to raise kids? What do they do that makes you mad? What do you fight about with your spouse when it comes to your inlaws? Money? Kids? ETC.This questions is for parents; do you fight with you spouse about your inlaws?
the age old battle....


My MIL tried to tell us how to do everything. My husband never defends her behavior...and is usually annoyed with her. BUT he doesn't do a whole lot to make her stop.....we argue about that...not FIGHT...but argue.


We don't fight about money....This questions is for parents; do you fight with you spouse about your inlaws?
My in-laws used to drive me nuts. Doubtless my parents do things to annoy my spouse, too. But we both realize that not much good comes out of fighting with someone about their parents. When you come down to it, my in-laws raised the person I love, and that's enough for me to take a deep breath and deal with them. And I'm certainly not going to complain about them to their own child, because I have to say I wouldn't particularly appreciate someone's bashing my parents, either, and I doubt most other people would. If they really do something that I find harmful to my kids (most frustratingly, they often blatantly favor one of my kids over the others), I address it as calmly as possible. Otherwise I bite my tongue and tell myself that it's all worth it because they produced such a good kid.





We don't fight about much, actually. After almost 14 years of marriage and more than 20 years as a couple, we've of course had arguments, but they're rarely serious.
My husband and I get along really well with each other parents, and thankfully they don't reall try and tell us how to raise our kids or overstep their boundaries.


We don't see my husband parents (both divorced with new spouses) as much, so when the kids see them, it's all fine, and they have sleep overs and treats and get spoilt rotten.


But we see my parents a lot, and occasionally my husband gets annoyed with how often they want the kids to stay over.





We do fight however, about which family to see for holidays. This christmas we saw both on new years eve and on christmas day. We both have HUGE familys, so it gets difficult.
No. We dont fight about how we raise our kids, or about his parents. Or my parents. We both agree that we know best on how to raise our child, our parents all concur, but they graciously offer advice here and there which we graciously consider.





As long as inlaws or parents arent being invasive, its always best to take their advice, see how it might best be applied and decide whether theres anything good in it before refusing it as useful.





If theyre invasive, then the problem isnt the parents, its the husband and wife not being adults enough to distance themselves from taht sort of abuse, and making it clear to the parents whats allowed and whats not.





Fighting about it does no one any good. Everyone involved really only has the best interests of the children at heart. Except in rare occasions... how they express that concern for those interests varies and that can cause upset.
My husband and I argue sometimes about family gatherings. We have so many nieces and nephews, brothers and sister, cousins etc and sometimes my husband thinks that it's no big deal to cook for everyone or have everyone over! Then when we do have these gatherings he's always really stressed out about it. He and my sister's husband really don't get along also.
No, never. We have never fought over issues (there is hardly any) over my in-laws. I guess I am so lucky that my mother-in-law and I have a very good relationship. And so with my father-in- law, but he passed away two months ago. No, my in-laws never ';mixed'; in our affairs. With my husband, of course, we quarrel mostly over my children (I brought along two in my marriage) because I think he is just too strict. But we never go to bed angry with each other. We kiss and make up before settling to sleep, this way we keep our fights short, and that is good for the nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment