Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am green card holder and how do I go about obtaining a USA passport. on the other side my spouse is USA nat?

I just want to know the procedure and time frame.I am green card holder and how do I go about obtaining a USA passport. on the other side my spouse is USA nat?
Only US Citizens can obtain a US passport, therefore you need to become a naturalized citizen of the US to apply for one.


However if you ask this for travel purposes, as long as you are a legal resident (green card holder) you can travel outside the US with your country's passport.


Be aware though that with some countries you'll surrender your original country's passport in order to get an American one. In other instances you can get dual citizenship.I am green card holder and how do I go about obtaining a USA passport. on the other side my spouse is USA nat?
If your spouse is a US national and NOT a US citizen you have to be a green card holder for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. If your spouse is a US citizen (NOT all US nationals are US citizens) then you need to be married to him AND a green card holder for three years to apply for citizenship.


After you get citizenship you can apply for a US passport.





NOTE: A person does NOT need to be a US citizen to get a US passport. A person must be a US national to get a US passport!
You become a citizen yourself





http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476鈥?/a>





take about 6 months after application
if you had a greencard for 3 years you can apply for naturalization. After that you will get an US passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment